Spring has sprung and what better way to spend your warm weekends than by stepping up your curbside appeal! Tackle all of the dust, unkempt landscaping, and chipped paint with a few simple do-it-yourself tips to shock all your neighbors and friends. Who said spring cleaning needed to be a boring list of chores? Not us! Whether cleaning the exterior of your home is on the to-do list or you have an open Saturday, we got you covered with ideas to step up your spring look.
The Perfect Paint Job
Refreshing your paint job is a great way to step up your curb appeal. Whether you are sticking with a neutral color, or switching it up to something exciting, below are a few steps you can take to get the job done!
Step 1: Wash your home. Cleaning the old paint and exterior is important to get rid of any loose paint that may be coming up, or removing dirt from your home. For the best results, wash down the home before applying any primer or paint.
Step 2: Scrape off any loose paint. After cleaning your home, if there are any loose paint pieces that did not come off with the wash those will need to be removed. A fresh canvas to work with for your new, or refreshed look.
Step 3: Fill in the holes. If there are chips and dents in your home exterior, then you may need to address it with a filler such as a flexible filler.
Step 4: Sanding! If you have to fill holes, or need to smooth out the exterior surface then sanding is the next best step. Sanding will prepare and smooth the surface before applying any paint or primers.
Step 5: Add your primer. A paint primer is not always necessary however it is encouraged as it makes your paint last longer, and look smoother after drying.
Step 6: The last and final step is… adding your paint! Woohoo! You should add 2-3 coats of your paint for safety. It is important to let the paint dry in between layers so the paint will not clump or create unwanted streaks.
Step 7: Enjoy your home’s fresh new look!
For more information on steps to take when painting your home click here to be redirected to a website with more information.
Updating Your Lighting Look
Driving down a dark street at night can be daunting. Be the house on the street that keeps everyone safe, welcomed, and stress free! Lighting on the exterior of your home is a perfect way to add details, cover extra space, increase the value of your home, and make it aesthetically pleasing. Below we listed out a few ways you can add a little lighting detail to your home!
Porch lights: Porch lighting can be an affordable option if you want to add a small detail to your home. There are a few different options when it comes to these lighting additions. You may try a traditional switch light where you control the light from the inside of the house. You may have timer lights in which they will turn on at a specific time of day, most of which are when the sun goes down. In addition, you can have motion sensored lighting where when triggered the lights will illuminate. Porch lighting is a great option for those looking to spice up their home without breaking the bank!
Highlighting trees or landscaping: Spicing up your trees and landscaping are another affordable way to add a little light to your front yard. Stringing Christmas lights, hanging bird feeders with lights, or just having simple bulb stands for the base of the tree are all great options. Whether you are looking for a quick but easy option, or don’t want to change your home look dramatically then this may be the way to go.
Outlining a path or walkway: Another way to add some light to your front yard is to outline the pathways with small lights. This is a simple addition that gives your house a luxurious feel. Adding lighting to your pathways are especially helpful for houses with larger front yards as it brings the audience closer to the property. Mix and match the pathway lights with other lighting additions to give your home the center of attention it deserves!
To learn more about different types of outdoor decorative lighting click here to visit a page with all you need to know on the different types!
A Put Together Porch
If your lovely home has a front porch, then this is the perfect opportunity to use it to add to your exterior’s aesthetic. There are endless ideas of porch furniture and decorations that could make a huge difference to the eye! Invest in a cozy porch swing, or play it safe with smaller porch plants, there is no wrong answer. In the list below you will find a few options to scope out your new porch furniture:
- Birch Lane (www.birchlane.com)
- AllModern (www.allmodern.com)
- Wayfair (www.wayfair.com)
- Castlery (www.castlery.com)
- West Elm (www.westelm.com)
- L.L. Bean (www.llbean.com)
Looking for subtle porch decorations to add this spring? Don’t worry, below is a list of stores to purchase decorations that will give your home the pop of life and bring all the attention!
- Ballard Designs (www.ballarddesigns.com)
- Kirklands (www.kirklands.com)
- Article (www.article.com)
- Pottery Barn (www.potterybarn.com)
- Restoration Hardware (www.rh.com)
Growing Your Gardening Skills
To all my gardening groupies out there, this one’s for you! Even if you are not a fan of getting your hands dirty, there are many ways to up your gardening game. Here are some tips for the gardening beginners looking to grow something beautiful.
- Plan out a space for your garden: It is important to know where and if you have room for a garden at your home. Whether you want to put a small garden on the side of the front yard, or make additions to your landscaping, being mindful of your space is crucial.
- Plan your plants: Make a list of potential plants that will look good with your home exterior colors and go through them one by one. Mix and match different plant types to find the happy medium of your liking. You should have a well thought out plan before purchasing and planting your greenery!
- Get to know your garden: Knowledge is power and in this case, very important to the survival of your garden. If you are not familiar with your plants, do your research so you know how the plants best survive and how much water, and sunlight, they require. You never want your efforts for a good looking home to be wasted on dead plants!
- Feed and water on a regular basis: Feed your plants and be mindful of the weather. Different species of plants require different approaches for upkeep.
- Start small: When beginning a garden it is important to start small and work your way up. There is a good chance you will learn things about your garden along the way that may need to be addressed. If that is the case, you are able to renovate and add plants where needed. Gardening is a journey not a race.
- Keep an eye on pests: Be mindful about the picky pest that will challenge your garden. If this becomes an issue there are ways to prevent pests, however, most plants and flowers will have bugs.
- Enjoy your garden: You have worked hard to build something beautiful, take the time to enjoy it! Use your fresh spices, or vegetables in a home cooked meal, or place a bench by your flowers for a sunny day.
Adding new colorful flowers to your front yard is an awesome way to refresh your home look. If you are looking for a way to up your curb appeal without breaking the bank, or changing the exterior design, this might be a perfect option for you! Here are some great plant and flower options to add to your home landscaping!
- Front door urns
- Mailbox plants
- Porch plants
And SO much more. Click here to view an extended list of options for you to get started on your home makeover!
Refreshing the Windows and Front Door
The exterior details like these all factor into your home’s first impression, and the windows and front door play a huge role! Take your curb appeal to the next level by refreshing your front door and windows. You may decide to put in a new design for your front door, or just touch up the look with a fresh coat of paint. The wonders of power washing will be handy in getting all the old stains, mud, and mold off to make your home look new and clean. If you are not looking to spend any money, touching up these aspects of your home are a great option. Don’t be afraid to get in there with a sponge and windex to make sure your windows are squeaky clean!
We hope this blog provides you with ideas and activities to spice up your home for the spring. In the event you need assistance from a professional, reach out to us and we will refer one of the many talented vendors we work with in your area. From start to finish, The Erin Krueger Team has got you covered.